This is a talk page. Click the '+' to start a new topic.
Spam removal, templates and categories
Hello, I have added a few templates to your wiki. Mainly to make it easier for me to mark stuff as spam.
I came here from another wiki I admin, it was in link spam I was purging from the wiki. Wiki link spam is the new blog link spam.
You probably want to think about deleting all the pages that are link spam. And banning all the users that added them. Banning users also blocks their IP addresses from the wiki for a short time (a few days I think).
It would also be a good idea to update the wiki version you are using. There are quite a few security fixes added since 1.12.0 in 2008.
- Probably the best way to tidy up is go through the Special:Uncategorizedpages section, and delete all the pages they are not yours. And going through the Special:Uncategorizedimages section would probably also be a good idea.
- I have also added some of the pages that need deleting to the Delete Page category.
- I can feed you more ideas about dealing with spam if you are interested. -- TenguTech(Talk) 12:31, 5 June 2011 (UTC)
Here is a list of other things you might like to think about doing.
- Disable edit by non-logged in users
- Disable new user registrations, temporarily (this will give you some time to do a clean up)
- Update your version of Media wiki. You are using version 1.12.0 from 2008. The current version is 1.16.5 (lots of security fixes)
Experimental: I don't think these will cause problems, but they are things that I think will cut down the link spam. (I just don't have ftp access to a wiki I Sysop to try implementing them.)
(I would be interested in implementing them one at a time to see what difference they make. You would also have to re-enable account creation for the test to be useful.)
- Disable API access for: Anonymous, Users, Autoconfirmed (I haven't had a chance to test this, but idea being that most spammers probably use bots to write to the wiki and create users). See the MediaWiki Manual:User rights
- Disable page creation for Users and Autoconfirmed users. But allow it for Emailconfirmed users.
- Disable uploading of files for any user below the Emailconfirmed access level.
- Install ReCaptcha instead of the current captcha. It uses images and I think the text for the current one is parseable (sp?) be a bot.
Other pages you might like to read:
Thanks again! -Tyler 10:10, 8 June 2011 (UTC)
You might also like to think about protecting some of the high traffic pages, like:
- Community portal
- Current events
- (and other ones I can't think of at the moment, its 22:09 +10GMT)
Anything I can do in return for all your help? --- Tyler 21:38, 22 June 2011 (PDT)
Here are the changes I made in LocalSettings.php to follow your suggestions. Please let me know if you see any mistakes here.
## BEGIN User edits. $wgLogo = 'skins/common/images/tang_sp_logo.png'; $wgBlockDisablesLogin = true; $wgEmailConfirmToEdit = true; $wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false; # TEMPORARY $wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false; $wgGroupPermissions['*']['upload'] = false; $wgGroupPermissions['emailconfirmed']['upload'] = true; $wgEnableWriteAPI = false; require_once("$IP/extensions/Nuke/SpecialNuke.php"); ## END User edits.
-- Tyler 22:44, 22 June 2011 (PDT)
I wrote you am email...
Hi, I (tried to) write you an email about the above. If you didn't get the email, the address your wiki sends as doesn't work. Just tweet me. (Disclaimer: All typos are caused by my keyboard, or lack of sleep :) -- TenguTech(Talk) 05:59, 26 June 2011 (PDT)